Moving Forward

Developer
Jun 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM
Edited Jun 8, 2011 at 6:17 AM

So with attempting to bring this project up to date and publish a check-in and so on and so forth I have decided that this just wont happen.

Why? There are major issues arising in Call Butler, please see discussions Installing with Microsoft .NET 4 (257648) & Installing Call Butler on a 64 bit system... can't do it.

Whilst we can get this project to work on .NET 4, Call Butler is to reliant on 3rd party assemblies (compiled) that are so full of bugs its not funny and in fact making it impossible to proceed.

I believe these are developed by Online Media Technologies Ltd & Works Out Software, Inc Although I have no idea whats going on with the second site!

Works Out Software, Inc seems to be the original developers of Call Butler? I am going to class this project as completely abandoned by the original developer('s), Alphamacaroon last visited August 20, 2009.  (Where the hell are you? We need the bits and bobs you have to make this project come alive)

So everyone please post your message here as a Brain Storm to where we should go from here.

My Thoughts (will edit and add to this post as we go)

• We need to loose the dependent Library's and develop what we need from them into Call Butlers Core.
  • Hunt out bugs and bring this program compatible with the latest and greatest hardware etc while still supporting those struggling to keep up.
  • Desktop Application
    • Introduce a Click Once Installer

Disagree or Agree please let me know your ideas.

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM

is there any developer documentation available what those 3rd party assemblies are used for? 

also why don't we use the Visual Studio ClickOnce installer? it is easy to use and also can do simple stuff like registering a dll and so on. 

also we could change the project properties to compile the application as 32 bit app so the 64-bit stuff could just be ignored. (the app won't need more then 2 GB of RAM anyways and speed isn't a real problem, too)

Mikey seems to also be a coordinator for this project - doesn't he have all the code we need(for the libraries and so on)? (he was active a few months ago @ codeplex).

Developer
Jun 8, 2011 at 6:16 AM

No documentation that I can find! I believe there was help and a deal made with OMTI in regards to the third party assemblies being used in Call Butler, they are found in there products but do not seem to be available for developers. The other assemblies (WOSI) are made by Alphamacaroon and contain core materials for making call butler work including what appears to be an authorization (Licensing) call to Call Butlers home site.

Click Once Installer would work well for the Desktop App. Will add this to the TODO list.

?? Call Butler is 32bit 

Mikey has not responded to emails. He also has not committed any change sets or made any releases so I do not think he was very involved with this project. It would be good to hear from either of these guys.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Hello all,

Not that I've used this software either in it's commercial or open source variant, I'm looking for a communications server (that doesn't require a dedicated server) for my network because we run a community and we need to have a few means of communicating with our members.  I think that Call Butler should be more of a Skype-like thinggo moving forward.  Like it should be able to call between PC and PC without a softphone or a number (and the option to use phone numbers should be there if the admin wants to use it), but for the most part, it should be more of a conferencing system rather than a phone calling system.  That's just my suggestion, and I plan to give you guys a hand once my C# skills get better.  Also sort of like TeamTalk if you get me.  Let me know what you think. 

Chromebuster