This software works only for a few calls

Aug 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM
Sorry to see your company went bust: I kinda sensed that when we decided to purchase this product less than a month ago, but the fact that it was the only PC PBX with an IVR made us decide for it nonetheless.

I´m not really complaining for the fact that we wasted money as the software is now free: I´m sure you did not want this to happen.

What I´m really pissed off is the fact that it processes only a few calls and then no more: it just rings and rings and no more.

Funny is that even though it seems it did not answer (just rings) it DID process the 1st part of the IVR script (which records calls).

Now I´m stuck with something that does NOT work and has no support...
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2008 at 6:34 PM
Galonga,

We have hundreds of customers who have used the product for years. In fact, we have 1 customer who does over 12 million calls a month on CallButler. So I can assure you that if you have problems answering calls that it is an isolated incident. Most likely this is an issue with your VoIP provider. Which VoIP provider are you using?

-alpha
Aug 18, 2008 at 11:20 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2008 at 11:21 PM
 Alpha

Thank you for the quick response.

We have exaustedly spoken with the tech people at our voip provider (www.tmais.com.br) about this problem and they claim the problem is with your software.

To support them they have the fact that if we use their line connected directly to a simple ATA (a grandstream 488, so NO callbutler involved anywhere) we NEVER see this problem.

So you tell me what can we do? :(
Aug 19, 2008 at 2:02 AM
Have you made sure you've increased the default number of lines from 6 to a greater number in the settings tab?
Aug 19, 2008 at 3:00 AM
I just increased it to the maximum of 50.

Anyways, we had only 5 licenses, so we installed the serial of this site which has unlimited (at least that much we gained with all this bankrupcy problem)

Can you tell me how increasing that number may help?

Thanks! :)
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2008 at 3:46 AM
Galonga,

I think you will need to decrease your registration timeout value for your VoIP provider. In the settings for your VoIP provider connection you should see something that says Registration Timeout. Try lowering this to 10-15 seconds and let me know if that fixes anything.

-alpha
Aug 19, 2008 at 7:12 AM
Golanka,

May be your local firewall is preventing it. I have set the port forwarding in the Router Firewall and still had problems, just rings, no sound. Noticed Norton Firewall at the hosting system too. Removed the Nortan Suit completely and disabled the local firewall. Now it works with charm.

In short, if you have any other firewall in between the router firewall and hosting machine, you may end up in issue.
May be Callbutler can have self diagnostic tool to check for UDP ports.

Hope this helps.

-Khalid
Aug 19, 2008 at 8:11 AM
Actually the voip people told us to do the opposite, that is to increase the registration timeout to 120 seconds, as we were getting too many "Telecom Provider Error Provider Registration ErrorProvider: sip1.tmaisngn.com.br Error Code:408 Request Timeout" messages.

That did solve that message problem but did nothing to the no sound problem.
Aug 19, 2008 at 8:23 AM

That might actually be closer to our problem, although we do not have a firewall anywhere, do our own hosting, and have configured the port forwarding properly.

We noticed that if you press any key while it´s still ringing all of the sudden the ivr voices pop up from nowhere!

In other words, the caller hears the ringing sound he just waits because he thinks obviously nobody picked up right? Wrong! The IVR DID pick it up and it´s already playing all the menu options etc!

So if the caller then just presses any key in the telephone keypad he will suddenly hear the rest of whatever message the IVR was playing at the time.

And because we did have problems with codecs before (when using the zoiper softphone, although we were not even using any voip provider) we decided just to use GSM and unclick all the others and that seem to fix the problem (I´ll keep you guys posted)

Weird huh? Let me know your thoughts.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:18 AM
We increased the registration timeout (even though the voip provider said we should do the opposite) but to no avail.

In fact, what we always have is
1 - Answers a few calls ok
2 - Starts to not answering calls even though it did. That is, it rings and rings but if you press a key in the phone keypad you find you were in the middle of the IVR processing
3 - Stops answering altogether: it just stays mute (no ring or anything) no matter what you press or do

This entire process happens in a timespan of say 10 minutes or so and only stops when we restart the callbutler process

But hey don´t take my word! Just call (55-21) 3005-3717 and see for yourself!
Aug 22, 2008 at 1:34 AM
You mean you decreased it (opposite of what VOIP provider says)...what did you decrease it to (try <30)?  Because it does seem as the NAT tables are getting lost here.  You have forwarded 5060 udp and some range of rtp correct?  Try removing router from equation to see if problem still exsists...
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2008 at 7:09 PM
Mikey,

Can you help galonga put CallButler into debug mode? We need to see if the incoming call is even being seen by CallButler. My guess is that CallButler has no idea the incoming call is even coming.

-alpha
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2008 at 7:27 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2008 at 7:28 PM
To run a SIP trace
  • In Windows, click Start > All Programs > CallButler > Utilities > Start CallButler in Debug Mode.  After a moment you should see a new CallButler icon on the bottom right of the screen.
  • Right-click this new icon.
  • Click Options > Show SIP Diagnostics. A new window will pop-up called “Visual SIP Tracing”.
  • Reproduce the connection or call issue.
  • In the “Visual SIP Tracing” window, click File > Save Trace File.
  • In the Save Trace File dialog box, select “XML Trace File (*.xml)” in the “Save as type” dropdown box.
  • Give the file a name and save it to your computer.
  • Open the file with Notepad or Wordpad.  Use "Find" to look for the expression "INVITE sip".  You should see what is happening with the call from there.
Aug 23, 2008 at 12:27 AM
Edited Aug 23, 2008 at 12:30 AM
We changed the ISP and apparently that was the problem, as we were able to receive calls all day (before we could only receive for like 10 minutes!).

Gavin God (bless his soul!) even helped us for like an hour and he confirmed that it was not an voip problem, as he tried his own and got different problems.

When we told the voip provider about the ISP we were using, they confirmed they indeed had some problems with that one.

We´ll keep you posted if that was the reason indeed.

BTW: the crappy ISP is called "Virtua" and the one we are using now is called "Velox". Both are broadband: Virtua was 1 Mb with a fixed IP number and Velox has a variable IP and is only 256K!

So go figure...
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 3:00 PM
galonga,

Glad you got it to work. Perhaps you could change your negative review of the software here to reflect this.

-alpha
Aug 26, 2008 at 3:17 PM
Actually I always saw this software as a great product and even thought about reselling in Brazil (Mike Tomazic can confirm you that).

What I love is the IVR system, which was the answer to our problems as we really don´t have the technical knowledge (or care to have!) for nerdy asterisk systems and such.

I was unlucky to be introduced to the software at a time when the company was already in bad shape and therefore support was obviously not at its best, but that does not debase the software itself.

I don´t know if you are still getting paid to help here or are doing it just out of altruism :) Either way I do thank you and hope I can still have your support: you can see that I´ve been really informative as I feel that the problems we had could very well be encountered by others.

Thanks.
Aug 27, 2008 at 2:00 AM
Edited Aug 27, 2008 at 2:59 AM
Alpha,

I can give you a my review!  112 days up no reboot, using 6 Teliax lines, multiple off premise extensions, and finally able to go on vacation, golfing or what ever without worry!  What a product!!

-JeffJ
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2008 at 5:57 PM
JeffJ,

Thanks for the feedback, it warms the heart. Glad to hear we're helping.

-alpha
Sep 1, 2008 at 10:17 AM
Glad that I could also be of assistance :)