Linksys SPA3102 - Outbound Analog FXO ?

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:50 PM
We are trying to get info on integrating a Linksys SPA3102 with CallButler.  We are (were) a paying customer and have had CallButler up and working for some time.

We are hoping to leverage the device as a gateway to the PSTN by using the FXO port of the device to connect to the PSTN network, and SIP from the device to CallButler.

I am not very familiar with CallButler but I am pretty familiar with traditional PBX and especially Cisco CallManager as well as Asterisk and VoIP technologies in general.

The goal is pretty simple. All outbound calling from CallButler should take place over the analog line connected to the SPA3102. For instance currently we are using an Aastra IP phone connected to CallButler and we are able to recieve calls from our toll free number which rides over a SIP trunk from Teliax to CallButler and then to the phone. We do not want to use the SIP trunk to Teliax for outbound calls however as we get better pricing on our analog line(s).

So what I envision is setting up a basic dialplan that routes 8.xxxxxxxxxx or 8.@ (that might be a Cisco only designation) but basically just the NANP obviously out the FXO port of the SPA3102.

I am just not seeing how to set up analog gateways within CallButler?  Is this not possible with CallButler? 
Aug 22, 2008 at 1:10 AM
Currently cb doesn't support "dialplans" you can only have 1 default provider going outbound which in your case would be your pstn. You will need to set up your spa3102 as a "voip provider".  Briefly looking over the manual it looks possible.  Also, I do not recommend these "cheap" pstn to voip boxes (fxos), very bad experience with one (echo, pickup delay, hangups, etc).  It took me 2 weeks to work out most of the problems with it and it still sound worse then straight voip.
Aug 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM

Hello Pktloss,

It is definately possible to connect your PSTN lines to Callbutler through a Voip gateway device. I had successfully setup a Grandstream GXW-4104 (4-port) gateway and used it daily for several months in conjunction with using a voip line. There were some instructions for setting up & registering the gateway in the old Callbutler forums, perhaps Alpha can retrieve & post some of this information? Basically you just need to enter your registration details for the pstn line in both your gateway device & Callbutler, you should then be able to get your line registered and in operation.

IMHO, I truly believe that if Callbutler had a tighter, more direct integration with a few of the most popular fxo gateway devices, it would catch a whole lot of additional attention! The most popular FXO gateway devices I believe are Linksys SPA-3102, Patton SN-4112, Grandstream GXW-4104, & Audiocodes MP-114 (which is what I currently use in our business). This has been number one on our Callbutler wishlist from the day we discovered & purchased the program.

Aug 22, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Starwarp,

I agree the FXO Gateway devices can be quite complex to get setup properly mostly due to the vast number of settings to go thru. The audio quality as well as the complexity of setting up these devices can vary between brands. Our AudioCodes MP-114 for example is giving us crystal clear audio, no delays, echo, static, etc. although we are using a different IP PBX system & not running Callbutler at the present time. (I am hoping to move back to Callbutler as soon as the development activity picks back up!)

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:02 AM
Interesting the MP-114 was the one I was using, worst experience ever I tweaked settings 8 hours a day for 10 days straight with no real avail.  Not saying it sounded completly bad, but our ulaw voip provider sounds 10x better.  Although FXO devices I would hope with VOIP prices going down and internet bandwidth going up will be a thing of the past.
Aug 22, 2008 at 2:29 AM
Well, let's just say I would certainly rather just setup voip provider connections anyday over fxo gateway devices!! Audiocodes is definitely a "treat" to setup as well as the Linksys fxo devices. The Grandstream GXW-4104 is the easiest of all to setup in my opinion as well as the least expensive of the bunch.

I just did not at the time feel confident enough in voip to totally tear out our old analog pstn lines, (911 emergency call concerns, power outage concerns, overall reliability in general).
Dec 15, 2008 at 5:42 PM
Hey Guys
I have just brought the Grandstream 4104 as recommended but have no idea how to set this up. Can anyone advise as it seems pretty complicated.

Thanks

Chris....