Library Source

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:41 PM
Hello CallButler

I have a question as I'm aware that this project represents the former commercial product of Telephony2 formerly Workout Software I was wondering if you have plans to release the source for the dependent libraries such as the WOSI inTelPhone, RTP, IVR libraries. It would be nice to be able to extend the stack.

Thank you for releasing a great project in the community. I was looking for something like this for a long time. I appreciate you not letting this fine project catch dust in a folder somewhere. I wish you the best of luck with the project and who knows with strong community support this may become the asterisk of windows and may help push it back into some form of commercial realm.

pstewart
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2008 at 10:30 PM
Thanks for the kind words. As for the RTP, IVR and inTeliPhone libraries we are currently debating whether or not we can even do it. The major issue why we can't currently do this is because our RTP library relies on a commercial 3rd party product for DTMF recognition and creation. If we were to give out the source code, it would expose our license key for these components and would be in violation of their license. So we're still trying to figure out if, how we could get around this.

The SIP stack however might be a different story. We're looking into this at the moment and assessing the impact of releasing it into open source. Hopefully we'll have a decision soon.

-alpha
Sep 6, 2008 at 7:17 PM
Hello Alpha

Thanks for the response. Well just to put my 2 cents in on the impact as it may regard to the community could be the creation of DTMF facilities by the community. It would be nice to have participation from the community to free the source from any commercial components so that the entire project is open source. I believe that this can happen if we stand behind callbutler's efforts to release such a fine product into the public domain and if that is what you want.

The SIP and IVR stacks could be extended as well with complete support for the following services

1. Sip Proxies (ie Stateful, Stateless, Session Border Controllers, B2BUA, Location, Presence, Gateways)
2. Media and Video Proxies
3. STUN, ICE
4. Radius, Billing gateways
5. Complete support for tcp, udp, tls, sip, sdp, rtp, rtc, xmpp etc.
6. Media gateways
7. Feature servers
8. DB support providers for, Oracle, mySql, MSSql, Postgres, Firebird etc
9 modular design usable in an event driven service level execution .NET application server with tomcat style deployment and module support (think mobicents)
10. webservice API interface, xml-rpc and web-based administration, etc

I'm talking a complete end to end solution that can eventually carry a dual license structure 1 for the community and 1 for commercial implementations and support. The community would contribute code skills to make the project happen, fix bugs faster, debug and test. (think fonality)

This would make callbutler a complete open source scalable Enterprise ITSP stack for windows and possibly mono think openser, asterisk, mediaproxy combinations that currently power most vonage style services. As i look at this project and a few others that can be merged into this project providing the necessary source i can see that it can happen and this would make it possible for CallButler to become a complete softswitch not just a PBX. I would be willing to support this kinda effort. I can currently provide you off site project management using trac, svn, bugzilla, webdave at no cost to you if it would help. I can also point you to the right sources to merge and can code as well I have been tinkering around with these kind of projects for years with ser, asterisk and even purchased a remwave system last year. However ser and asterisk work together on linux and asterisk runs on windows but ser does not and remwave is an awesome system but it is closed source so having a complete open source C# ITSP stack for windows/mono would for sure create a dynamic business opportunity for callbutler. I know that is how I'm working with the source and have already identified compatible sources that can make this reality. But my mission is targeted towards public safety and integration with a computer aided dispatching console but we can all benefit from such.

Just my 2 cents. I can provide more info and proof of concepts, diagrams if you like. Think carrierclass thats my contribution i'm playing the middle man to unite several projects that can get the job done what do you think?

Read this http://www.codeplex.com/cadswitch

pstewart
Sep 11, 2009 at 7:54 AM
Alphamacaroon wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. As for the RTP, IVR and inTeliPhone libraries we are currently debating whether or not we can even do it. The major issue why we can't currently do this is because our RTP library relies on a commercial 3rd party product for DTMF recognition and creation. If we were to give out the source code, it would expose our license key for these components and would be in violation of their license. So we're still trying to figure out if, how we could get around this.

The SIP stack however might be a different story. We're looking into this at the moment and assessing the impact of releasing it into open source. Hopefully we'll have a decision soon.

-alpha

any updates?

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM

still no updates?

Developer
Jun 5, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Still want updates? http://callbutler.codeplex.com/discussions/260232