2 major installation-/function problems

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:36 AM
Hi all,

as a normal end user I am somewhat shy to come up with my probably simple issues, especially when I read all the expert postings.

I used to try CB Pro4Skype when it was still in try b4-you buy mode, and it worked a little bit, but I didn't get the results I was looking for with that trial version (e.g. multiple extensions, etc.). Now I upgraded to the Open Source Enterprise on this very workstation where the trial version was running, and every time I start CB I see different results. Most of the time I cannot get past the page where it says "No connection to CB server" and even the connect to server page doesn't open. However, when it opens sometimes I don't know what to type into the IP box to connect it to lets say SKYPE. Or what kind of service do I need here? I am in Taiwan and nobody seems to know anything about VoIP or telephone service provider services.

My second problem is that on other workstations (I tried 2 of them) the installation of the Open Source (latest version) ends with a "Service 'CallButler Servie' failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." message, although I'm logged in as administrator with all privileges.

I am running the old Windows 2000 Professional with SP4 and the Windows 2000-SP rollup.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Ryan
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2008 at 3:57 PM
Edited Sep 12, 2008 at 3:59 PM
CallButler for Skype was discontinued due for a number of reasons, but largely because:
  • Skype imposes a limit of one concurrent call
  • Overall quality and stability issues with Skype
  • Lowering cost of SIP-based VoIP services
Skype is a great communications product, but it simply wasn’t stable and robust enough to manage people’s businesses. Their refusal to support more than one concurrent call is a deal killer for most businesses.  Skype was increasing its prices as SIP-based VoIP services were becoming more competitive and they support concurrent calls.  Do the math: look at the annual cost of a Skype In number, multiple Skype Out accounts vs. the annual cost for one of these services.  Then consider the impact of even one frustrated or lost customer. 

I would encourage you to try CallButler with one of the SIP-based VoIP services out there and compare the quality/costs.