CallButler no sound on customer end

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:19 AM
I have CallButler installed and is linking to Uplink (http://www.nch.com.au/skypetosip/). All seems to work fine except when a customer calls and CallButler picks up all they hear is silence. I ran a test call in CallButler and it seemed to work fine, I have installed and tested CallButler on 2 computers, and they both seem to have the same problem. I also checked in the control panel of windows to see what my default sound devices are, but I'm not sure what they need to be set to, (windows default device, or uplink.) I am guessing this is a problem with some kind of deivce configuration. For the background I am trying to set up some kind of IVR software that will work with my skype account, the only other software I can find that does this is Pretty May Call Center (http://www.prettymay.net/callcenter/index.htm) but it costs an arm and a leg! I also don't understand why CallButler does not "intergrate" with Skype like it did in the previous versions. Help appricieated in advance!
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2008 at 4:12 PM
wiseguy,$0$0$0$0CallButler doesn't use the sound card for sound. It mixes all of it's audio internally. It's hard to see from the UPlink website how they send audio. We would need them to send the audio from Skype over RTP (Realtime Transport Protocol) in order for us to be able to hear it. Do you know if they use RTP to send the audio?$0$0$0$0$0-alpha$0
Sep 28, 2008 at 3:10 AM
Thanks for your reply,

I'm am very new to this whole thing (as you can probabally tell) I posted screen shots of how Uplink's settings are configured here: http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/soundman91/uplinksettings.jpg http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/soundman91/uplinksettings2.jpg http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/soundman91/uplinksettings3.jpg Do I need to enter the same STUN server address configured in uplink to callbutler also? Also if I put the same SIP port number shown in uplink's "Network" tab in callbutler too, when I run a test call in callbutler it will only say "ready for call", (also If I try to call through skype to test it, callbutler won't even automatcially answer the call like it should) it will never say "connected" and pick up the call like it does if callbutler and Uplink DO NOT have the same SIP server ports configured. Again, thanks for you VERY helpful support!
Sep 30, 2008 at 5:55 PM
Can somebody PLEASE help me, I need to solve this issue as soon as possible
Oct 2, 2008 at 2:03 AM
I noticed that Uplink is saying that "server 127.0.0.1 did not respond to register (sip_#@127.0.0.1) check server details for that line", does anyone know what exactly that means? .

Thanks!
Oct 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM
Could you get me a screenshot of the Advanced SIP Server Settings in your 2 screenshot.
Oct 6, 2008 at 8:18 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2008 at 8:21 PM
Ok, I posted the Advanced SIP settings, here is the link: http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/soundman91/adv_sip.jpg

Thanks!
Oct 6, 2008 at 9:29 PM
Try putting the uplink and callbutler on different computers, or use different ports on the same computer.
Oct 8, 2008 at 11:13 PM
I tried installing Uplink on a 2k3 server and CallButler on a XP laptop, I am still getting the same "no sound on caller end" issue. I also tried configuring Uplink to listen on 5070 and have callbutler listen on 5060, if I do this callbutler will pick up the call like it should but the caller will only hear silence. If I configure uplink and callbutler to both listen on 5070, callbutler will not answer the call. Does anyone have any time to test uplink and CallButler together to see if they can accually get it to work?

Thanks a bunch!
Oct 16, 2008 at 9:53 PM
your problem looks like one I had

people would call, our ivr would pick up (we know because it records the incoming call data in a db) but no one would hear shit, or would hear a "tuut tuut" sound like if no one picked up

however, and VERY strangely, if the person would dial any number in the telephone dialpad, he´d find that the initial "thank you for calling us blah blah" recording was already haf-way thru!

what we found is that that behavior did NOT happen with other ISP, so we think there may be some kind of 5060 port block with the one we were using

so basically test it with another ISP ok?
Oct 17, 2008 at 9:51 PM
Thanks for trying to help me! I still am a little confused because if  I open the right ports for the SIP server (tcp or udp) the sip server is still not answering to those ports if I do a online port test, and I have verified that port 5070 is not being blocked by my ISP. Also does anyone know if i need to use a stun server if I open the ports properly?

Thanks!
Oct 17, 2008 at 11:50 PM
Edited Oct 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM
Stun is for nat not for ports being open. The port for sip is also 5060 not 5070.
Oct 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM
But if I understand Uplink correctly you do not need either port forwarding or stun since the Uplink logs into Skype and then makes its own "VOIP service" that you connect to locally through port 5060.
Oct 18, 2008 at 4:57 PM
That is my understanding too, I have uplink, callbutler and skype all running on one box, and Uplink listens on port 5070 (or whatever port you enter) as I set in this screen: http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/soundman91/uplinksettings3.jpg and then callbuter listens on port 5060. So I open port 5070 UPD in my firewall for uplink and then whenever a call come in through uplink it is supposed to forward it locally to callbutler on port 5060, this is how I have it setup, but still no dice, when I do a port test it also says that port 5070 for uplink is not opened, I have tried many different ports also. So what your saying though is that I don't need stun or I don't need to open any ports in my firewall because I'm not hosting a public SIP server for everyone else to use? 
Oct 19, 2008 at 1:41 AM
Hi i just have one question ??? is callbutler picking up the call???? and then no sound ?? or is the call not getting picked up at all ?
thanks
david

http://supremeresurfacing.com.au
Oct 19, 2008 at 11:12 PM
Call butler is picking up the call, but the caller hears no sound whatsoever! This just doesn't make any sense to me, I have been working on this for just about a month, and I still have got almost nowhere..GRRR! I know the community is very supporting but this is just not making any sense as why this is not working.
Oct 19, 2008 at 11:30 PM
Ok have you tried your codec settings?? if not call your sip provider and ask for some help explain to them your current codec settings and ask what order they should be in ours are set as follows: Open Callbutler Settings And Click Codec  Check your settings  GSM (checked)  PCMu (checked) PCMa (UNCHECKED) speex (checked) iLBC (UNCHECKED) LPC(checked)

This one works for us but may not work for you if not contact your provider and ask
Cheers
David
http://supremeresurfacing.com.au
Oct 20, 2008 at 12:53 AM
First, there is no SIP provider in his case it is the "Uplink" Program.  Second, if this was a codec problem Call Butler would answer the SIP Invite with a not supported message.
Oct 20, 2008 at 12:55 AM
How did you determine call butler is picking up the call and how did you determine it is only no outgoing audio (from call butler), and that incoming audio works (to call butler).
Oct 20, 2008 at 1:03 AM
Uncheck Use uPNP and Use Stun, then try.
Oct 20, 2008 at 1:06 AM
I know callbutler is picking up the call because if I stop the callbutler service and try calling again I will just get VM. If callbutler is enabled, the call is picked up in less than 2 rings. That is a good point about the incoming and outgoing audio, Since I am using Uplink, skype uses Uplinks "virtual" sound driver for audio, so I guess I will have to try messing with the virtual uplink audio settings to figure that out, I will let you know what happens.

Thanks!
Oct 20, 2008 at 3:20 AM
I doubt uplink's default settings would be to do one way or no way audio, normally the default settings for anything should work try to uncheck Use uPNP and Use Stun in uplink on this screen  http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/soundman91/uplinksettings3.jpg , then try.
Oct 21, 2008 at 1:49 AM
Hmm...seems to have no effect on unchecking UPNP and STUN, however I cannot get uplink and calllbutler to work right at all now, I tried reconfiguring both callbutler and uplink and now uplink says "Error other side says: request pending" Thats all I get no answering calls witrh no sound even! Odd hey? I definatly am out of ideas..lol. I know this sounds prettyt pathetic, but does anybody want to see if they can get uplink and callbutler to play together? I also posted the screen shot of uplinks log view here: http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/soundman91/?action=view&current=uplinklogview.jpg

Thanks everyone!
Oct 26, 2008 at 12:57 PM
ok i had the same problem as well and here is the fix
i dont know why this works but it does
first call butler has a glitch when u using text to speech whether it is microsoft sam or purhcased voices  some times they work and sometimes they dont the point is, that the use of the text to speech is not reliable enough to use.
So your first fix is to replace every place that you used text to speech with your real voice.  The reason you are getting no sound on the other end is due to the fact that call butler is answering the phone but it is not playing the voice and walla the caller doesnt hear anything because nothing is being played.
Second    naturally when u try to record your voice in place of the text voices you attempt to use the recorder inside of call butler DONT do this because the recorder inside of call butler is a little buggy sometimes it records perfectly and you know this due to the fact that when u hit play back after recording it plays back. but sometimes as in alot, it say unreconized format or it just wont playback at all. so here is the fix record use the recorder inside of windows go to start menu go to accesories and choose recorder and remember save it as a 8 bit 16mono wave file which you will see as an option when you try to save and u will see the format its trying to save as and you will see the option to change it.  After you do this go back in to call butler and it gives you the option in places where you are using recorded voices or messages to chose a recording you have saved some where. so choose that option and point it to where  you have the file saved  
this fixed my problem and i have had no more problems with the caller hearing no sound
Oct 29, 2008 at 2:52 AM
Even when rechecking both it still does not work?
Oct 30, 2008 at 5:03 AM
Sorry I haven't been posting latley, I have tested trevelyn's way mentioned above, that didn't quite fix my problem, but DEFINATLY were good tips. I also tried testing callbutler with Call Centric, and I got that working like a hot knife through butter, so I know its a problem related with Uplink now. So, I decided to install a copy of callbutler Professional for Skype version 5.11.0, and guess what? IT JUST WORKS WITH SKYPE! I also opened a new discussion in reguards for a key for Callbutler Pro. I think I'll use that instead of the latest version of Callbutler, the only 2 problems with Callbutler Pro for Skype are 1. I need a key for it, 2. It only is allowing me to create up to 5 extensions, I really could use more but I am hoping if I put a key in that will go away.

Thanks everyone, you guys rock!!