Which ports to open in router

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Cann't seem to make a basic extension call from one eyebeam softphone to another extension also using eyebeam from inside or outside the router. Can someone tell me if I need to port forward inside the Lan. Calling from Wan I imagine I must port forward. What ports does callbutler need to forward to server. What configurations do I need on the callbutler and on the eyebeam softphones.

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:30 PM
QB - do you have a provider set-up?  I know you are looking to make an IP to IP call but you still need to have a provider set-up.
Oct 24, 2008 at 3:17 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2008 at 3:21 PM
I believe he is making an Extension to Extension Call, so no provider necessary...

5060 is the port for sip.

As for configurations depends on your situation.  Here's for a generic one.

On the callbutler pc go to http://whatismyip.com we will need this address later so write it down.

Forward port 5060 on your router to the local ip of your call butler box.

on the softphones set auth user and user to the extension number you created and make the password, the password you created.

enable stun on the softphones and for the address type the public ip you found at whatismyip (from the cb box!)
Oct 24, 2008 at 4:38 PM

If you go from extension to extension you won't need a provider.

Open port 5060 and RTP and you should be fine.

If you decide to make calls over the PSTN  go ahead and choose a high quality provider like Teliax.


I know this is a shameless plug but what fun is a phone that doesn't work with the outside world too?

Go with the pay as you go plan and keep it very cost effective. You don't even need to choose a number if you don't need one.

Geoff Love