G729 codec and call butler

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:50 PM
HI Guys, i have Call butler working well with Voiptalk in the uk.

It has been up and running for a few weeks and we are very impressed.

The only problem we have is that the call volume is very low when talking to customers.

I have spoken to voiptalk to see if thewy can alter there and and apparently we need to use the G729 codec for best results.

This isnt an option i can see in the codec list. Is it possible to add this to my system.

Thanks  Chris
Nov 7, 2008 at 3:01 PM
Call volume is not a function of codec choice.  So changing the codec will not increase the volume of your calls.  What kind of phones are you using, I suggest checking you mic volume settings on them.
Nov 7, 2008 at 3:26 PM
HI Im using Siemens Gigaset C4751P and have the volume on full.

Is there anything else i can do.
Nov 7, 2008 at 3:28 PM
Does call Butler support g729 anyway. I didnt see it in the list and wondered how it worked.

Thanks
Nov 7, 2008 at 6:32 PM
CallButler does not currently support the G.729 codec.  G.729 is a proprietary codec that is licensed through Sipro http://sipro.com.  So there is a cost to CallButler to support this codec and for the user to use it.  G.729 is useful in situations where bandwidth is at a premium as it has a small "footprint" than other codecs.  The disadvantage is that the audio quality is not as high as with other codecs and it requires more CPU (to compress and decompress the packets). 

Welcome the community's thoughts here.  We did some informal polling and found most CallButler users wanted G.729...but not if they had to pay for it. 
Nov 8, 2008 at 1:01 PM
HI Mikey - Thank you for your detailed explanation. This now makes perfect sense.

I dont know if this is possible but i guess a good solution would be if you could have the G729 codec as an extra download and install so customers who need this and are able to pay could simply add this to there systems. Would it be especially difficult to add this type of support as im sure it would increase your market share.

Kind Regards  Chris
Nov 8, 2008 at 9:00 PM
cap,

Actually, the PCMa codec can cause volume issues. If youre VoIP provider does support PCMu, I would suggest using it. To do this, turn of all other codecs BUT PCMu. Hope that helps.

-alpha
Nov 10, 2008 at 9:38 AM
Alpha - I want you babies. i just turnerd of all other audio codecs and put PCMu to the top.

The sound is now perfect, both incomming and outgoing.

Thank you very much - perfect solution