Caller ID displays "unknown caller"

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:50 PM
I have been using Call Butler for about two weeks, everything is awesome, except the caller id displays "unknown caller".  The number displayed is correct, I contacted my voip provider(Zingotel), they say the problem is with call butler.  Can anyone help?
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM
kgeary,

We display exactly what the VoIP provider sends us in the SIP display field so I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up. If we receive nothing in this message from the VoIP provider we will display "Unknown Caller". So I hate to push the blame back on them, but we will display what they send us. Have you tried calling from different numbers and they all show unknown?

-alpha
Dec 1, 2008 at 7:31 PM
Every caller into our system comes up "Unknown Caller".. Again I put this to Zingotel and they said it is because we use CallButler.  I guess they do not no what to do, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem...
Coordinator
Dec 2, 2008 at 7:43 AM
kgeary,

Try this:

1. Stop the CallButler Service in the Windows Services control panel.
2. Go to Start->Programs->CallButler->Utilities->Start CallButler on the Desktop / or Start CallButler in Debug mode (depending on which version you are using).
3. You should see a CallButler icon appear in your windows system tray.
4. Right click on the system tray icon and look for a menu that says something like Options->Show SIP Diagnostics.
5. A screen should pop up that should show you the exact SIP messages being exchanged between CallButler and Zingotel.
6. Place the call into CallButler through Zingotel.
7. Look for something that says INVITE. Click this, and if you can take the detailed information that is displayed below and Email it to me at  https://www.codeplex.com/site/users/contact/Alphamacaroon?OriginalUrl=http://www.codeplex.com/site/users/view/Alphamacaroon, I can see what is going on and let you know. What we are specifically looking for is something that says something similar to:

If there is nothing in the place of "Caller ID" then we have no way of knowing who the call is from.

-alpha
Dec 2, 2008 at 6:35 PM
Edited Dec 2, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Alpha,

I made a call from 716-481-**** (my cell phone) attached is the file you asked for…I was wondering if everything looks like its set correctly..

Kgeary

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2008 at 7:57 PM
I don't see the file. Did you Email it?
Coordinator
Dec 3, 2008 at 7:14 AM
kgeary,

Got it now, and as I suspected they are not sending us any caller ID in their messaging to us. If you specifically look at the following line in the INVITE message:

You'll see that they don't specify any sort of caller-ID to tell us who it's from (other than the phone number). What's more, you can look at the entire message and you can see that nowhere in any shape of form are we passed any sort of information as to who the caller is. So what I would do if I were you is to take the entire SIP trace (you can save it as a text file under the File menu) and send it to them and tell them that the SIP messages they are sending us don't contain any caller-ID information. Once they see this it will be pretty hard to refute the issue and blame it on CallButler : )

Let me know how it turns out or if you need any help. I think I still have a contact at ZingoTel I could probably rattle if we need to.

-alpha