Configuring CallButler for Fixed line phone through modem

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:42 AM
Configuring CallButler for Fixed line phone through physically connected modem on the computer. Is it possible?, if yes, I would be really helpful, if someone can point me to the documentation on how to do that.
Thanks in advance
Mar 3, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I would be very interested in seeing if this is possible as well. My parents have a (very) small business and no other use for internet service at that location. Upgrading the current analog phone service to high speed internet + VoIP seems more complicated and pricey than it would ultimately be worth, although they are definitely looking for a solution to weed out wrong numbers/telemarketing calls/faqs/etc

I would love to be able to setup CallButler or something very similar, especially if it could be implemented via an analog modem running on one of my old machines I otherwise have no use for

anyone?

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:45 AM
You can absolutely use your CallButler PBX with a traditional (analog, POTS, PSTN) line.  What you need is a FXO device (sometimes called an analog gateway).  This essentially functions as a two-way bridge between your analog line and your CallButler IP PBX.  At a high level, you will plug your analog line(s) and a broadband connection into the FXO device.  In the FXO device (via a web browser), set up CallButler like you would an IP phone.  In CallButler, set up the FXO device like you would a VoIP provider.  It might take a bit of fine tuning but it absolutely works.  The cost of an FXO device is largely a function of the number of lines it supports (a 4 port FXO device will support 4 analog lines).  A one port FXO device will start around $60 and go up from there.  Make sure that the FXO device is configurable using a web browser.

Note: I know there are lots of people using CallButler with an analog line via an FXO device.  I would ask that, if you are using CallButler in this configuration, would you provide configuration/set-up tips (screenshots) to help the community?  If I may, suggest starting a new thread for each device.  THANKS!
Mar 4, 2009 at 10:56 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2009 at 4:50 PM
mikey thx for the reply, definitely a huge point in the right direction.

so if I'm understanding correctly I will need the broadband connection only for setup then I can remove it and run the FXO right off the analog line sans broadband? If that is the case I would need to do the setup at a different location (with broadband), and then relocate the FXO to what will be its operating location. Will this be doable or will the FXO lose the settings as soon as the power is removed from it? I'm assuming the settings would be retained in the event of power outage, etc(?).

Also, at most I would only need a single channel FXO since I will be running it on a single analog line, correct? Or does the FXO provide for analog call waiting functionality?

EDIT: would I be looking for something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400034684973
or more like this?  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120383964813
or would either one work?

sorry for the barrage of q's, I'm just new to all this
Mar 5, 2009 at 12:20 AM
Most of the users I am aware of have used a separate FXO device such as those offered by Grandstream, Linksys, AudioCodes, etc.  I believe that you need broadband as a connection between the PC and the FXO device - although you may be able to connect with an RJ45 cable - I'm not quite sure.  If you used an integrated board like the IBM adapter in your first link, you might be able to avoid this - I'm just not sure of the details on how this device works.

Regarding the other URL http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120383964813, this is an FXS device which allows you to use analog devices (e.g., analog telephone, fax) with an IP PBX.  This is NOT what you want.
Mar 5, 2009 at 1:02 AM
you need something like the Sangoma usbfxo a FXO. This one in particular handles two lines and it is very reliable. Now, there are cards that can do FXO and FXS, the Sangoma A200 series. Has anyone tried an FXO device with Callbutler succesfully?