unable to connect to callbutler server

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:09 AM

Hi, i have read the other threads in this site about this.  but I still haven't figured out how to "set password in security section" and when i type "localhost" in computer name or IP, nothing happens...

Now, I have a router and cable connection...  I don't know which IP I should use! which password ... how do I access the security section?

it was suggested that it should turn to application first in order to access security debug section...  and do this start service with -a thing...  I tried using command prompt .. results...

totally unsuccessful

I find this to be totally user unfriendly! and I'm pretty good with computers!

so how do I get this thing fixed / going with the server connection thing!

please some one.. humor me and write a recipe/ line by line instruction assuming someone does not know anything...

THIS IS FOR CALLBUTLER AND SKYPE version (don't know if the main version is any different).

please help.

thanks. can email me also...

Ali

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM

is there anyone in this site that can be kind enough to help me in this?

thanks.

Ali

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM
Edited Jan 22, 2010 at 8:55 AM

I've got a problem

OS: Windows 7

 .net 3.5  sp1

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM

This may help some people.  I registered for codeplex just to answer this question.

 

First off, I was told about CallButler by one of our customers who is trying to get a low-cost pbx system.  I checked it out and I couldnt get it to work for the longest time.

 

Here is how you can get it to work.  Go to start menu and type services.msc and hit enter.  This brings up your services manager.

Look for CallButler and right click -> Properties.  click Log On tab and choose the second option (This Account).  Then type a password there.  I used the password for my user account that I'm logged into.  Then once youve updated that, you have set the "security password" as they say.  Right click on CallButler and click Stop.  Then Right Click on CallButler and click Start.

Now the service will be running with the correct properties and when you start the desktop program, enter localhost and whatever password you chose in the previous step.

Now you are finally in and it works...kinda.

The program still seems buggy as hell.  I understand its in a BETa phase...but really, i dont get the point. 

Most VoIP providers out there provide their own voicemenu options and much more than Callbutler can do.  I dont get the point of running a business phone system off of a regular desktop computer.  It just doesnt seem as reliable as most businesses need.  i mean if you have a little ebay store or a convenience store, maybe it will be fine but for any serious business, this is a JOKE.

 

I know business phonelines are expensive but there are a lot of great VoIP providers out there that are very affordable and have robust features that completely eliminate the need for CallButler.

 

I work for a company called VoiceData24  ---> http://VoiceData24.com and we just charge $25/month per extension with Unlimited Calling and auto attendant voice menus and all the features you could ever dream of.  I just dont understand why someone would even contemplate going with some flukey software to run their own business phone on a desktop computer.  Its proposterous.

 

That being said, this is an interesting software and I will follow it just for kicks.

 

I hope I helped someone out as it seems like support is nonexistant on this software.

 

Matt Hines